Mission Statement: YALITCHAT is a young adult book publishing industry non-profit organization created to foster the advancement of young adult literature and understanding of young adult culture around the world.
Growth Outlook: What started as a weekly chat on twitter has grown into a world-wide organization of like-minded individuals with one goal. Click here to join the membership organization of young adult book industry professionals. In March 2011 YALITCHAT.ORG counted over 2200 members from over 22 countries.
History and Founding: YALITCHAT was started as a chat on twitter in September 2009 by YA writer Georgia McBride. Georgia created the associated online community on Ning in November 2009. The non-profit organization was established in June 2010 in the state of North Carolina and operates as a 501(c)(3).
President and Founderâ€“Georgia McBride
Grants and Scholarship Council Coordinatorâ€“C. Lee McKenzie
New Member Ambassadorâ€“Nicole Olea
Content and News Coordinatorâ€“Adrienne Gelbart
Group Coordinators (click to see listâ€“membership required)
Project Intern â€” Jean Oberlander
Editorial and Communication Intern, Newsletter Producer â€” Amber Skye Forbes
Please note that some of the names listed here provide various services for YALITCHAT including contest judging, query reviews, industry advice, chats, webinars and other general support.
- Michelle Zink* author of PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
- Alvina Ling, Senior Editor at Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
- Elizabeth Law* Publisher of Egmont USA
- Michelle Wolfson of Wolfson Literary Agency
- Mark McVeigh* of The McVeigh Agency
- Lindsay Ribar of Sanford J. Greenburger Associates
- Alyson Noel* author of THE IMMORTALS series
- Claudia Gabel, Senior Editor at Katherine Tegen Books
- Lauren MacLeod* of The Strothman Agency
- Deidre Knight, of The Knight Agency
- Annette Pollert* Associate Editor at Simon Pulse
- Bernadette Baker-Baughman* of Victoria Sanders and Associates
- Carlie Webber* of Janet Rotrosen Agency
- Laura Bradford of Bradford Literary
- Natalie Fisher of Dijkstra Literary Agency
- Â Sarah Davies* of Greenhouse Literary
*Members of YALITCHAT.ORG
Membership and Availability of Online Community: YALITCHAT.ORG has two membership types to meet the varied needs of members. There is a BASIC Membership which is free and a subscription membership of $30.00 per year (PREMIUM Membership). Students receive a FREE membership which entitles them to benefits and services at the PREMIUM level with a few exceptions. Below is an explanation of membership:
BASIC Membership Â does not require a subscription to YALITCHAT.ORG and members have access to the following:
- All blog content
- All forum content
- Event calendar
- Photos-may add book covers and photos
- Videos-may add (but not have featured) book trailers and videos
- All other groups not contained in the PREMIUM group category including FIRST PAGES.
BASIC members are not eligible for grants from YALITCHAT.ORG and must pay a fee to enter contests. Additionally, BASIC members may have their member news listed on the site and in the newsletter but without the benefits of hyperlinks to their websites and or names. BASIC members may not have their content featured on the home page.
BASIC members have access to the following groups:
- First Pages â€” peer critique of first 5 pages of manuscript
- Pimp My Scene â€” peer critique of problematic scene
- Craft Masters â€” articles and suggestions about craft of writing
- Crit Seekers â€” message board for those seeking critic partners and or groups
- Middle Grade Lair â€” for those who also write middle grade
- Blogger Nation â€” a resource for bloggers and blog promotion
- Perturbed YA Parents â€” a place for parents to hang out, vent and connect
- Writing Contests and Submission Opps â€” learn about new writing contests and opportunities
- eBooks and Self Publishing â€” everything relative to the self-publishing and eBook business
- Picture Book Corner â€” for those who also write picture books including peer critiques
- Screenwriters Scene â€” for those who are also screenwriters
- Illustratorâ€™s Pad â€” for those who are also illustrators
- YALITCHAT International â€” a hub for our International members
- Pop Culture â€” a place to discuss pop culture
- Queries That Work â€” view successful queries from our members
- Expert Resources â€” get help with research for your novel from our varied experts
- 2011 Writing Resolutions and Goals â€” share your goals for the coming year
- Books to Film discuss books made into films
- Teen Writers and Readers â€” a special place for our teen members
Please Note: If you are not a subscriber or student who has been verified and approved in the system (youâ€™ve communicated with us and have received a confirmation email that your status has been updated to student), please do not request to join any of the PREMIUM groups (listed below) until you have subscribed.
PREMIUM MembershipÂ requires a $30.00 annual subscription to YALITCHAT.ORG and members have access to the following:
- All blog content â€” may have their blog posts promoted and featured
- All forum content
- Event calendar â€” may have their events featured and promoted onsite and in newsletter
- Videos â€” may have their book trailers prominently featured
- YALITCHAT grants
- YALITCHAT webinars at a discounted rate â€” may host of be featured in special promotional chats
- FREE or discounted contest entry
PREMIUM members have access to all BASIC groups PLUS:
- Agent Mailbox â€” direct submission to agent panel with professional critique of your query and first 250 words
- Query Kick-Around â€” peer critique of query
- Synopsis Repair Shop â€” peer critique of synopsis
- Teen Beta Readers (formerly Teen Review Board) â€” teen review and critique of first thirty pages of manuscript to ensure authentic teen experience, voice and tone
- On Submission â€” group for authors currently on submission to agents or editors
- Promotion Junction â€” book marketing repository
- Agent Insider â€” everything you always wanted to know about getting your book published. Includes an AGENTPEDIA, publishing dictionary, A-Z agent listing, FAQs and more!
PROFESSIONAL LEVEL Subscriber members who are also professionals in the industry or established and successful authors. Examples are those who are listed as our Professional Mentors list in section. Echelon Members receive:
- Maximum promotion for all projects (for you and or your clients) on all YALITCHAT properties (.ORG, .COM, #CHAT)
- Exclusive content including video, photos, interviews etc. for YALITCHAT and or affiliates
- First right of refusal for you and or your clients at MADE FROM AWESOME Mega-Chat, YALITCHAT.ORG Presents BEA Author Stage and other related events
- First look at Agent Mailbox vetted submissions (agents and editors)
PLEASE NOTE: Students have PREMIUM Membership status EXCEPT when it comes to grants, contests, webinars and receipt of FREE or discounted services beyond the cost of membership. Students are treated as BASIC members relative to grants, contests and fee-based activities and or services.
Access to the system is 24/7 or according to the availability of the server/service provided by Ning, our technology service provider. We are not responsible for server outages or technical issues caused by Ning or their technology partners. Access to weekly chats and related transcripts is FREE and open to the public. The expansion of young adult literature around the world is our ultimate goal.
Member Meetings: We meet weekly via #YAlitchat on twitter, Wednesdays at 9PM EST. There is usually a closed/members-only chat immediately following. A full schedule of chats can be found on the official blogâ€™s Schedule page. Please check the schedule as we have special chats during the year that fall outside of the normal 9PM EST/Weds schedule including International chats.
Additional Branded Sites: For those interested in following the #YALITCHAT hashtag all week long, please join the #YAlitchat twibe (yes, you read that right) http://www.twibes.com/group/YALITCHAT. No involvement neededâ€“just join. Youâ€™ll be able to auto follow all members on twitter as well as keep up with the #YAlitchat hashtag all week long.
Online Community Facts
Founded on twitter: September 2009
Founded on Ning: November 2009
Non-Profit Established: Summer 2010
Grants Program Established: July 2010
Member countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Costa Rica, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Honduras, India, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, US.